The Sisters of Sion have been in London since 1860 at the invitation of Cardinal Manning. From the outset in 1842 their founders (the Ratisbonne brothers) felt called by God to pray and work for the healing of the hostility between Jewish and Christian communities both of which they knew and loved.
At the original Sion Convent and then at the Study Centre for Christian – Jewish Relations the sisters strove to teach Christians about the Jewish roots of Christianity and how Judaism is lived in the present day. They also worked to overcome anti – Semitism and prejudice and promoted friendship.
Now in the 21st Century “the Congregation grows in understanding its vocation and responds in a new way to the founder’s inspiration” (Constitution art.3). Society has become more pluralistic and numerous faith communities now live alongside each other; horizons have widened.
The Sion Centre for Dialogue and Encounter provides a setting for study and growth in mutual understanding between Christians and Jews and also between other faiths and cultures to enable us “to do justice, to love kindness and to walk humbly with our God” (Micah 6.8).